Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Walla Wallah

While watching the local news with breakfast this morning, I wanted to throw my oatmeal at the traffic nerd who twice exclaimed "Walla!" The word is Voila. It's not half a city in Washington or Australia, not a pop musician, and not a misspelling of a Hindi word. It's French, literally see it, idiomatically there it is. If you were to write it quasi-phonetically, it would be vwalla. While channel surfing I got to hear it again on a home improvement show. And yesterday I saw it actually spelled out walla in a news item. I've heard it malapropised dozens of times before, but the clusterbombing has pushed me over the edge. You're welcome to your own walla moment next time you see it or hear it.

Ah, I'm better now and ready to get back to work.

&&

1 comment:

Elrond Hubbard said...

Jenna say "pa"!