Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tell me something good about health reform

President Obama has directed everyone on the White House staff to read A Milestone in the Health Care Journey by Ronald Brownstein at The Atlantic. The takeaway from the article: the current Senate bill contains a whole lot of good ideas for controlling costs, with a built-in exploratory process for service improvement and cost containment. There are no guarantees that it will work, but it sure will try hard. It seems this just might be the rare bird that has been improved (so far) by Senate delay and tweaking. We'll have to see what happens on the floor, but Brownstein's assessment gives me hope that the final product could be something good.

&&

3 comments:

Elrond Hubbard said...

Yay! Today I heard that costs will drop maybe a little or significantly for those in employer-paid group insurance, but will rise for us individual payers. Which is a bummer for me. But we'll get more services, they said. I'd like the service guaranteeing that I don't get dropped when I need expensive treatment.

Elrond Hubbard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenn Cassidy said...

There will be a limit on total out-of-pocket costs for deductibles and co-pays. It will be more actuarially favorable. I.e., your current plan may be cheaper if you stay healthy, but if you average out all people in your risk group, including those who stay healthy and those who get sick, the total expected expenditure on premiums plus out-of-pocket will be lower with more coverage, under the Senate or House plan.